Watch is losing time

Discussion of roleplaying & the realm
Dstroh1220
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

I am extremely new to the watch game, I just bought my first piece second hand from another user on Reddit. Its a Patek Nautilus that I'm sure cost less then $100 when it was new. It worked great for a week or two but now seems to be losing time. To the tune of a minute an hour. Its not a major deal and I will continue to wear the watch regardless but I was curious if there was an easy way to fix the issue. If not I will continue to wear it and use my phone to tell accurate time. Thanks in advance for the help!
DROOSEPH
Paladin
Paladin

Have you tried winding it up fully? Like 40-50 times?
Qomplete
Knight
Knight

Isn't winding a watch that much bad for the mechanism
Dstroh1220
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

I did wind it manually, but not that many times. Maybe 20-25. Ill give it a try today and see what happens. Thanks.
DROOSEPH
Paladin
Paladin

if winding it does not work you can always get it serviced but depending on what movement it is, it might be more cost effective to just swap in a new movement if you can do that yourself. I f you end up taking it to a watchsmith its likely going to be cheaper to replace the whole damn thing unfortunately.
DROOSEPH
Paladin
Paladin

Qomplete wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:21 am Isn't winding a watch that much bad for the mechanism
It can be since the mainspring uses friction to hold to the barrel like a clutch. most people arren't doing full turns when winding it up so that many turns is more like 35 full rotations, a watch winder would do way more "damage" or premature wear than manually winding like that.
TheViz
Site Admin

I don't think I've ever given one of my watches more than 15 full turns. That being said, for the love of God stay away from watch winders with CT watches. Losing that much time, the movement would need to be regulated if you cared to pay for it. The issue would be getting someone to do it.
Dstroh1220
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

Giving it a good manual winding has seemed to work. It has been keep accurate time since 5:30 am. Thanks for the advice!
leandango
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

Open it and move that little thingy with 2 gold dots, away from the other little thing with 1 dot. Just a little bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DROOSEPH
Paladin
Paladin

leandango wrote:Open it and move that little thingy with 2 gold dots, away from the other little thing with 1 dot. Just a little bit.
You are suggesting him to try and regulate the timekeeping of the movement…this is. It advisable for someone without a timeographer not to mention that he already solved the issue.

If someone were going to attempt this without the proper equipment, small or even tiny incremental adjustment would be imperative.

leandango
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

DROOSEPH wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:37 am
leandango wrote:Open it and move that little thingy with 2 gold dots, away from the other little thing with 1 dot. Just a little bit.
You are suggesting him to try and regulate the timekeeping of the movement…this is. It advisable for someone without a timeographer not to mention that he already solved the issue.

If someone were going to attempt this without the proper equipment, small or even tiny incremental adjustment would be imperative.

Uhm, yes i have plenty of vintages and i'm doing it all the time. Not a big deal.
henners806
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

Same thing happened with my U1 Sub :(
LogisticsCzar
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

Soo if you have a cheap watch you can always use a free app to help regulate it. No timegrapher needed tho obviously you're not going to get as accurate of a regulation but a DG movement is going to be difficult to get a great result on anyway.
I've used clock tuner in the past had good results.
moonphasewitch
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

I was told by someone to check into whether it had gotten magnetized. If it did, I think you can get something to demagnetize it (apparently this is possible using some of those security tag removers at stores).
zodiacdiver
Newborn Fawn
Newborn Fawn

You can check if it's magnetized with one of those apps you can get on your phone, could be the issue